Compiled from Origins of Chinese Tea and Wine
There are many ways to prepare tea. You can prepare tea for many people or for just one.
Preparing tea for many
- Fill one-third of the pot with tea leaves.
- Pour in boiled water, remove the bubbles on the surface with the lid and close the lid tightly.
- Some people like to pour away the water from the first infusion. This is called ‘washing the tea’. It cleans the leaves and allows the scent to come out more easily. However, not every type of tea needs to be washed. Black and green tea can give a rich taste even in the first brew.
- Pour some hot water over the teapot to let the aroma diffuse completely.
- Pour hot water into the teacups (to warm up the cups). Then, pour away the water.
- Arrange the cups in a straight line and fill them up with tea.
Preparing tea for one
There is now a type of teacup that has a handle and a lid. It comes with a tea filter and can also be used to make tea, making this extremely convenient for people.
1. First, use hot water to warm up the cup. Then, pour away the hot water.
2. Add 3-5 grams of tea leaves.
3. Fill it up till it’s 70-80% full with boiled water.
4. Replace the lid and let the tea sit for 3-5 minutes.
5. Lift the lid, remove the filter and tea is ready to be consumed.
6. To make another cup of tea, just replace the tea filter and fill it up with water again and repeat step 3 and 4.