Just thought I'd share this short, informative documentary about the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. My key takeaways:
1. The Shang dynasty built the oldest nation state in Asia.
2. It left behind a fully formed writing sysytem (aka oracle bone inscription).
3. The Western Zhou dynasty (1046BC - 771BC) ruled from twin capital cities of Feng Hao.
4. The capital was moved to Luo Yang during the Eastern Zhou Dynasty, which was split into the Spring & Autumn Period and Warring States Period.
5. Despite violence and chaos, it was also an age of profound philosophical thought - namely Taoism, Confucianism, Legalism and The Art of War.
6. All Warring states were unified by China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, in 221BC under the Qin Dynasty.